With the increased numbers of people working from home or remotely from their normal
workplace, CFA is warning of the potential for an increase in structural fires.
Deputy chief officer Trevor Owen said using faulty or damaged electrical equipment could
result an increased risk of fire at home.
He said people should ensure their appliances were in good condition before plugging them in.
“People need to remember that when electrical appliances are left on for an extended period of
time they could overheat and have disastrous effects,” he said.
“We are urging residents to check their electrical appliances including computers and televisions which are more readily used in home at present. Check you’re not overloading power boards or have loose cables, ensure monitors, laptops, televisions and other equipment have a good air flow around them and are not in confined spaces or covered.
“Make sure you turn off electrical appliances before going to bed. When leaving your home
unattended it is best to unplug your electrical appliances.
“Our firefighters don’t want anyone to come home to their house on fire, so spending the time to
check your appliances’ condition and ensuring you turn them off properly is essential.”
Electrical appliances for product recall notices can be checked by visiting, www.productsafety.gov.au.
The CFA also issued some electrical appliances safety tips:
Always follow the manufacturers’ instructions when using any electrical appliance.
Use low wattage globes in lamps.
Turn off all electrical appliances at the power point when not in use.
Only use certified electrical tradespeople to repair damaged/faulty electrical appliances, wiring or equipment.
Avoid using double adaptors.
Use power boards according to manufacturers’ instructions, never overload and check regularly for damage.
Check your electrical equipment for product recall notices and receive product recall alerts via email using www.productsafety.gov.au.