Season ends for Monbulk bowlers


By Eric Markham

Saturday’s pennant meant finals were here with Monbulk 1 travelling to Ringwood to take on the top side in perfect conditions.

The reward for the winner was a place in this years’ final and season over for the loser.

Monbulk began well and at the half way mark had a slender lead of three shots.

The overall board remained close, but Ringwood were able to grab some crucial multiples to win 71 to 61.

Richard Cookson’s rink had a close battle with scores tied after the seventh, 10th and 17thends.

However, even though the Monbulk rink won three of the last four ends, the dropping of four shots on the 20th end cost them as they went down 19 to 18.

Geoff Petersen’s rink trailed by a few shots for most of the match and when they dropped a four on the 15th end they were six shots behind.

However, they fought hard to go down 17 to 14.

Eric Markham’s rink started well and led by five shots after four ends.

They held this lead for most of the game with some excellent bowling from Margaret O’Brien (Lead), Jenny Holmes and Peter Koomen. They then won six of the last seven ends to win 20 to 9.

Brian Smiths’ rink played against a tough Ringwood rink and were able to stay close until the 9th when they trailed by just three shots. They then won only two more ends to go down 26 to 9, which meant that Monbulk 1’s season had ended.

Monbulk 2 took the trip further east to Warburton to play their semi-final and found the going tough losing across all four rinks which has ended their season.

Peter Donders rink were well in their game with no end producing more than two shots throughout. After 15 ends scores were locked together, but the opposition won five of the last six ends to win 17 to 12.

Case Broekhof’s rink were only one shot down after 15 ends.

However, they dropped 18 shots over the last six ends to lose 32 to 13.

Graeme Goller’s rink was only four shots behind after eight ends, but did not win another end to lose by 31 shots, 37 to 6.

Eric Furby’s rink was no match for their opponents winning only five ends and going down 33 to 12.

This meant Monbulk 2’s season has finished one game short of their goal.

Tuesday pennant saw Monbulk 1 take on Vermont South at home in the final home and away game for the season.

Richard Cookson’s rink started well and were seven shots in front after three ends. Their opponents then won eight of the next 11 ends to lead by eight shots after 14 ends.

The Monbulk rink made some inroads into the margin over the last seven ends, but could not get their heads in front losing 21 to 17. Jim Bras’ rink were three shots in front after seven ends, but then dropped 11 shots in three ends to trail by eight shots.

They then made up ground and by the end of the 16th end were one shot in front. However, they had a disastrous 17th end where they dropped six shots and did not recover losing 26 to 18.

Eric Markham’s rink controlled the game early and after nine ends led by six shots.

The opposition then fought back and by the 15th end had levelled the scores and finished strongly to take the game by 23 to 20.

This meant Monbulk lost the overall by 15 shots, 70 to 55.

Monbulk 2 who were in fifth place travelled to Chirnside Park who were in fifth place with the winner claiming a finals spot. Graeme Goller’s rink had a close contest early until they dropped five shots on the eighth end to be six shots behind.

They were still six shots down with four ends to play. They then won the next three ends to be two shots down going into the last end.

Some excellent draw bowling from Eric Walsh and Terry Wright saw them pick up four shots and a win by two shots, 18 to 16.

Eric Furby’s rink held sway early and by the 12th end led by nine shots. Their opponents then made up some ground and with one end to play were within three shots. The Monbulk rink held their nerve and picked up two shots on the last end to win 19 to 14.

Alan Hamilton’s rink stayed with their opposition for the first 15 ends where they trailed by only three shots. However, they lost the last six ends to lose by 23 to 11.

Monbulk lost the overall 53 to 48 and missed an opportunity to play in this years’ final series.

Monbulk 3 travelled to Noble Park for their final home game.

Mike Harris’ rink showed they meant business when they were 10 shots in front after 10 ends. They kept this lead until the completion of the 13th end when their opponents seized the initiative and crept within two shots with five ends to play.

The Monbulk rink maintained their composure and ran out winners 23 to 20. Bruce Cockerill’s rink started slowly and after eight ends trailed by seven shots. They then won the next three ends to level the scores. However, the opposition lifted their game, winning seven of the next 10 ends to win 23 to 13.

Peter Verspeek’s rink was level after six ends. They then lost the next five ends including a six, to be 12 shots in arrears.

They tried hard but went down 21 to 12. Monbulk lost the overall 64 to 48.